Welcome to my papercrafting world. I hope you enjoy the journey.



Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tickled Pink and Plum Santa


Hi, everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.
This card is for a challenge at JustRite they wanted "shabby chic". This is the definition they provided
Wikipedia defines Shabby Chic as a form of design where objects are either chosen for their age and signs of wear and tear or new items which are distressed to achieve the appearance of an antique. At the same time, a soft, minimalistic, and feminine feel is emphasized to differentiate it from regular vintage decor/style; hence the "chic" in the name. Shabby chic items are often heavily painted through the years, with many layers showing through obviously time-worn areas. The style is imitated in faux painting using glaze or by painting then rubbing and sanding away the top coat to show the wood or base coats. Fabrics tend to be cottons and linens, with linen being particularly popular, inspired by old French linens. Whites and worn or bleached-out pastels are favorite colors. Fabric or lace is often stained with tea to give it the look of time worn old fabric. Bleached and faded are terms often applied to the style. So in terms of paper crafting and stamping: think distress inks, sponging, painting, collage/mixing different elements and/or stamp sets, feminine lace and papers with a worn fabric look.
This is a style I absolutely love and this time I think I've really got it. While I was searching different blogs for inspiration, I saw the faux linen technique. I tried to go back and find who's blog I found this on to give credit, I was not able to find the blog sorry :(.
The basic of the technique is to stamp on tissue paper crumple it up and then sponge. This provides a very old, soft washed look. Then color in the image Santa from Vintage Christmas Set with colored pencils. I used two of the JustRites sets from Christmas 2010 release. Christmas Nested Sentiments which I cut out of a piece of dusty rose card stock using Spellbinders Fancy Tags Three I added a bit of white paint and tiny white pearls. For the rest of my embellishments I ripped a heart doily and sponged with Antique Linen, Plum and Worn Lipstick.
Some left over sheer pink ribbon, a crochet flower, three roses, stick pin and some pearls. My base is GKD PL White sponged with Antique Linen, my mat is Chocolate Malt sponged with Plum. My dp is from my 12X12 stash.
Hope you like this one.
Better get ready for work long day today.
Colleen

6 comments:

craftieodmae said...

I love it!!!!!!

Patti P. said...

Colleen, this has to be one of my all time faves of yours...I love everything about it and I definitely think you've got it!! Now you need to play with us at Sugar Creek. I am going to try and case your linen technique, I love how that turned out. Tfs

Sheri said...

OH! I love non-traditional christmas cards! This is FANTASTIC!

The Other Patti Sue said...

Shabby chic perfection my friend!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

look at you go, girlfriend! Totally fabulous!

Marge said...

Colleen, this is absolutely FABULOUS and AWESOME! Great job!!!