Welcome to my papercrafting world. I hope you enjoy the journey.



Monday, February 18, 2013

Altered Book Challenge


I'm very new at Altered Art and Mixed Media projects, and by far this was my biggest undertaking to date.  This is for a challenge over at EP This is the closeup picture of the cover. I will include more pictures as we travel along. Below is the way the book started. As you can see much to my surprise when I went looking for a book I found two that were the same. 

 




Must be a sign I said.          
      
That is when the ideas started forming. This book was one of my grand daughters favorites because of the colorful art work. I really wanted to keep the art work for her inspiration, I decided to only alter the pages with writing on them. You can see the alterations below.
 
So here is one of the inside altered pages. I put a very heavy paper in for mixed media(she likes acrylics) and over that a tracing paper that I perforated so she may  pull it out if she wanted.
 

I added a pocket to the front inside cover so she can keep ideas or just things. 
Finally the dedication page.



To alter the book, I sanded the cover so it would accept the Gesso and then ivory paint. I covered that with Tim Holtz tissue paper. Then I went to my scrapbooking stash and started grabbing things I thought I could use. After I had everything picked out I found that wonderful knob and thought it would be just the thing I needed to put the design in full motion. Other things I added were paper flowers, A paper clip shaped like a music note, a charm I made with dp and a butterfly stamp, some metal flowers, pearls, rhinestones, a chipboard initial, the pink plume, chipboard butterflies and to finish it off some book corners.
I hope you like it, as much as I hope she will.
Hugs 
Colleen

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Like it...looove it Colleen as I am sure your grandaughter will. I love how you incorporated what she loves...even down to the perforated tracing paper!!
The cover is beautiful covered with Tims Tissue paper and all your embellishments-Great Job!!
So glad you linked up over at eclectic Paperie abd thank you for sharing.
Hugs
Tracy
xxx

Micki said...

You may be new to Altered Art and Mixed Media, but you did an awesome job on your book. Your granddaughter will love this. I love how you incorporated the feather and all the embellishments. Wonderful. Thanks so much for playing along with eP's Get Altered Challenge.

Patti P. said...

This is another fantastic piece of work, she will love this beautiful book and always treasure it I am sure. Love the mix of items that you used and the way you made it so personal inside. Love the envelope.
hugs...